View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #30
Cobalt 25

There are so many posts here that are just so nonsensical it's hard to know where to begin.

A life member of the American Motorcycling Association, I've been riding motorcycles since 1965. (Motorcycles are ridden, not driven.) Two years ago my son crashed his motorcycle and would have had severe head injuries had it not been for his helmet.

Two things come to mind when reading this thread. One is that there seems to be the mentality that the gummint is intruding in my life, I'm mad as hell, and I ain't gonna take it no more. Is crying and whining about policies that help to improve the overall quality of life all that helpful? Are you really egocentric enough to think 47 or so states with helmet laws are wrong and NH is right? Who, in the long run, pays to treat uninsured motorcycle-related head injuries? Like it or not, we do.

The other point I see, as mentioned above, is the tough guy approach. I'm a bad a## and I don't wear no stinkin' helmet. Many say they wear a helmet MOST of the time. I wonder how many riders receiving head injuries told the EMTs, if they were still alive, "I usually wear a helmet!". The tough guy argument cannot move forward with common sense.

Sometimes we need laws to save us from ourselves. I believe this is one of those situations.

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cobalt 25 For This Useful Post: