View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 06:41 PM   #18
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
I'm not saying you don't have a valid point, it's just that there are extenuating circumstances to consider before requiring EVERYONE to wear a helmet.

Dan, regarding the statistic I quoted from your earlier post, how many of those 38,379 deaths (that's 90% of 42,643) were wearing their seat belts? And how many were in passenger cars vs. pick-ups vs. SUV's?

I know that passenger cars are required to meet a federal standard for strength in the roof area; it's supposed to be able to withstand/resist crushing in a roll-over accident (I don't know the exact requirement). Unless something changed over the years, pick-ups do not have to meet the same standard and I'm not sure about SUV's. So if they're in a car, they have a cheap version of a rollbar to help them survive (although it's nothing compared to a rollbar you'd see in NASCAR or NHRA Top Fuel or Funny Car drag racing).

It's presumed that if the occupants stay in the vehicle in a crash, they stand a better chance of survival. If they're not wearing a seatbelt, there's a very good chance they're bouncing around inside the vehicle and quite possibly being ejected from it depending on the severity of the crash. I'm certainly not an expert but in my opinion, from a survival standpoint, that's probably about as good as being in a crash on a motorcycle. In a car, pick-up or SUV, you've got something around you to absorb some of the impact instead of your body absorbing all of it, provided your body stays in the car. That's the whole point of seat belts but alot of people won't wear them unless required to by law and then there are those that won't wear them even if there's a law. The point is if more people wore seat belts, there would be fewer deaths so their logic continues that if more bike riders wore helmets, there would be fewer deaths or at least fewer cases of severe brain trauma.

Let me ask you, would you wear a helmet in a car? Would you wear it if it were required by law? Do you currently wear your seat belt?

Does anyone happen to know of statistics regarding voluntary helmet usage? I'm sure Lakesrider can't be the only person who thinks the way he does (see his comments above).

Wow, this got a LOT longer than I ever thought it would!
Would I wear a helmet in a car? No not for daily ordinary street and highway driving. Off road and race track or similar, yes I would.

Would I wear it in a car if required by law?? Well I certainly hope it would never get to that but if it did what choice would I have so I would be forced to say yes.

Do I wear my seat belt? 95% of the time. I have one vehicle that does not remind me with those annoying chimes to put it on so I occasionally forget when driving that vehicle. I wear it by choice not because I am forced to.

My point is it is clear fact that more lives would be saved if those driving autos wore helmets yet no one goes around trying to legislate it because it affects their "comfort" level. Its a double standard and total B.S. The argument about taxpayers paying for brain trauma and so on is also bogus as once again 10 times more head trauma comes from auto accidents than motorcycles.

I don't want or need the local or federal government to force their double sided safety standards on me. I do not need their help to protect me from myself.

Maybe we should outlaw rock climbing, down hill skiing and bob sled racing too after all those are dangerous sports and we don't want the taxpayers to have to pick up the pieces when an accident happens. Heck we might as well let the feds tell us what sports are safe and what's not. I having a feeling though we would all be playing touch nerf football!

Keep letting the feds get their foot in the door and soon they will be telling you how fast you can go in your boat on Winnipesaukee.... oh yeah, never mind...

Take care;

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote