View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default laser jammers.

Skip and I had a looong discussion on this on another thread.

First of all, radar jammers emit a signal at a sepcified frequency to confused the radar/ladar. This is against FCC regulations and if you are caught it can bring heavy fines. That is why amatuer radio operators as well as commercial operators register with the FCC.

I use to work for a DOD electronics supplier that specializes in self protection jammers. Some of the engineers have made similar jammers for their personal vehicles. Rather the emit signal and send false readings to a radar/ladar, the system 'absorb' the signal and the result is no signal returning back to the detector. Stealth mode. LEO's will say 'no such thing' but I did have a discussion with a Nashua cop and a state trooper that they have witness this and thought it may have been the unit malfunction. I didn't mention to them the engineers have the ability.

If you google speed detection on water or boats, you will find many articles on this including shapes of the hull, fiberglas vs metal and wood, boat spray, movement and rocking of patrol boats etc. It is very difficult to detect boat speed. If a mpo fine you for going 5 mph over the speed limit, you can contest that in court. With all this facts you will no doubt get away with it. But if you are going say 20mph over the speed limit. It's a mute point.