View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 05:34 AM   #72
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper of the Sea Que View Post
They inspect boats and trailers looking for exotic plants BUT NOT ANIMALS? Why are they not looking for Zebra Mussels too? Is it a different kind of inspection to look for Zebra Mussels? Why exclude this aquatic nuisance species and concentrate only on plants?

Until this thread got me to look at their web site I thought the inspections were for all aquatic nuisance species - plant and animal but apparently I am wrong.
In the training to be a lake host and also in lectures from the NH DES, we are taught that Lake Winnipesaukee is an acid rain lake. The low PH makes the calcium level in the water too low to support the growth of shells that zebra mussels depend on. They can not survive if introduced, so there is no need to inspect for them.

The lake hosts offer a pamphlet to rampers, with the plants of concern along with ones that are not yet in our lake. The hosts also have a nice laminated chart with large pictures of each one - to help them with identification. There is another program for those that want to help - and that is the weed watchers. After milfoil treatment, volunteers are needed to scour the lake for new and returning patches. In that training, we learn that there are some natural forms of milfoil and it is not always easy to know which is native and which is invasive. So much to learn - so little time.

In the latest presentation by NH DES (last Thursday at the Loon Center), Amy Smagula showed pictures taken under her boat trailer after examining a milfoil filled lake. It is amazing where those plants can hide!