View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
Belmont Resident

Default Another thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippasan View Post
I'm pretty familiar with what a prop can do for performance i.e. hole shot etc, but never really imagined that porpoising could be caused by a prop. Always figured it to be due to a poor hull design, center of gravity or weight distribution. After researching it for the last several days I have a much better understanding of why Porpoising happens and now fully understand why a prop will cause it.
I had a 25' Cobalt and now have a 28' Formula Bow rider with twin 260 hp's which I would have no problem spending the dough on for a performance prop.
The Four Winns bow rider is a $4500 starter boat for my 2 older sons (20 and 22) and I think will be a perfect boat for them if I can get this porpoising sorted out. I would love to go with a stainless 4 blade but I'd be afraid after a day with their friends out on the Winni, the prop might come back as a 3 blade if you know what I mean. (I remember when I was learning to drive a boat). I'm definitely looking forward to trying the 14.5x21. If I recall that's exactly what I had on one of my first boats which was a 21' Sea ray br with a 4.3.

Bottom line is I'm thrilled that the Sea Doo's are gone and the kids have a safe boat to use instead.

Thanks again for all the valuable info and we'll see you on the water.
What about an inexpensive pair of fixed trim tabs? I believe they sell fixed ones or at least manually adjusted. That would extend your hull and possibly get rid of the problem and still keep your top end speed or increase it.