View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
YES: This would work. HOWEVER..there is a very good risk you will strike "Ground" with the HOT wire while you are doing this. Your original question indicates you are a Novice. I would not recommend a Novice DO this procedure. No disrespect intended.

SKIPS procedure is much safer...because there is no risk of striking and ARC. However: I would use a 12 volt battery.

I would like to hear Skip explain how mating a 9 volt dry cell with a 12 volt wet cell would work. I am thinking the 12 volt wet cell..the car battery..no matter how low in voltage, would likely try to Charge the 9 volt dry cell. Dry cell battery's don't like to be Re-Charged. I think they explode. Just wondering.. NB

PS: When you mate two battery's together which have different voltages.. the battery's TRY to equalize. That means the battery with the greater voltage trys to bring the battery with the lesser voltage into.."Equalibrium".
The 9 volt device I built is diode protected so the 12 volt battery cannot damage it. Someone with basic electronics skill can easily build one, but I would still recommend a layman pick up a manufactured version of this device at a local auto parts store for the reasons you pointed out.

Thanks....
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post: