View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

So here are the questions that need to be discussed when thinking about a boat, especially where the indications are you plan on trailering it around.

1) If you have trailering experience how long and heavy of a trailer do you think you will be comfortable towing? remember a 18' boat is going to have a 21 - 23' trailer.... and fully loaded boat motor trailer and equipment, I come in at around 3900# with my 18' Four Finns.

2) now once you think or maybe before you think about what size of boat you want you also need to think about tow vehicles.... I am alright with a 1500 GM truck but get much bigger you need a 2500 series...

3) Now as everyone here has said you can go with a Stingray, which has really marketed themselves for the trailering crowd, the boats size for size are lighter then the competitors, allowing you more room for a give weight but it means an longer overall towing package. And you will sacrifice some in the ride because the boat is lighter.

4) last what is your primary goal with the boat. Is it to use as a water sports tow boat? (stringray would be an excellent choice)... A family pleasure craft for cruising around and relaxing on the bigger bodies of water...(stingray maybe not so much)...

Finally you are doing the right thing by asking questions. Get out there and test drive multiple boats, and various conditions. If you find one you like and want to see how it handles in different weather conditions come back a few day later.... Dealers want to sell boats, they will take you out as many times as they have too......