View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
Grant

Default Aerial Treetop Adventures @ Gunstock

On Sunday, my son and I ventured over to Gunstock for a day at the new Aerial Treetop Adventures course.

One-word summary: Awesome.

After arriving, plunking down our payment and signing requisite waiver forms, we were fitted with harnesses (standard climbing harnesses, outfitted with two cords with caribiners and one with a zip line pulley), and then assigned to an instructor along with 5-7 other folks.

Instruction was basic and thorough, and included all necessary safety and technical info as well as ground rules and warnings. After a brief run through a low-level course that included all types of challenges under the watchful eye of the instructor, we were sent to the beginning of the course.

The course if divided into five sections (Greee, Blue, Silver, Red, Black), each of which is progressively more difficult and higher. They contain ladders, foot bridges, swings, ropes, cargo nets, logs, and other suspended challenges with a series of ladders, zip lines and platforms between. Each segment has at least one zip line (nine total) and they range in length from 60, 65, 70, 80, 125, 180, 200 and 275 feet in length at varying heights. Platforms go as high as 50 feet according the web site, but some appear quite a bit higher (especially when you're perched on one).

There are a series of well-marked lines you must always be clipped into along the way (two clips, always in use, opposing openings, etc.), and there's always a guide nearby to help when needed.

Each segment of the course ends with a ground option, so if you've had enough, you can opt out. Making it all the way through the Black section is a real accomplishment -- and a real physical challenge.

The equipment (cables, platforms, ladders, ropes, etc.) is all secure and solid (naturally, as it's a new park), and fastened to healthy, strong trees (big, tall pines). The course nicely traverses the landscape and woods -- it doesn't look like they removed many trees at all. They really made it fit right into the surrounding woods. Some of the zip lines cross ravines and creeks, adding to the thrill. The longest line (toward the end of the Red segment) was nearly 100 yards long and about 30-40 feet high.

My son and I are already planning a return trip with my oldest son in August (and hopefully I will finish the Black section this time without hand cramps).

Well done, Gunstock!