View Single Post
Old 05-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #24
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
Actually the following comment by the editor makes it journalism since the editor is selling the comments as fact.

Now the editor certainly has every right in the world to publish, but a list of unattributed quotes presented as fact is unacceptable and raises questions about the ethics and realiability of the publication.
I don't know who, if anyone, actually uttered those words and under what context. And in that context I don't know how you can write that you can find no lies or errors when you don't know who issued the quotes, or even if perhaps they were written around the table one night at a Winnfabs meeting!

The one quote that was attributed seems to be from a fictitious firm. A google of "Tow USA" shows military pics, a hobby site, aircraft tow bars, apparel, weather forecasts, on line music, scale pilots, a 'speed racer' ad and fly cheap to thialand...that was on page one of google under "tow usa"!

All that calls into question the factual authenticity of that "letter to the editor" that contained such experience and wisdom!
I think you are wrong about that. The editor did not write any part of that letter, or comment on it. Where is says "Editor, The Citizen:" that is the salutation. It shows that the letter was addressed to the Citizen. If you take a look you will find every letter to the editor starts that way. Everything after the colon was written by Sandy.