View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008, 07:50 AM   #10
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
I still don't get how decreased shore erosion is provided as a benefit of a speed limit. Boats cause a larger wake at slower speeds. This is not a dig at whether there should be a speed limit or not, it just doesn't make sense how a speed limit would affect boat wakes. The speed limit will not have any affect on erosion, since by 45 most boats are on plane anyway and making a smaller wake. I just don't get how anyone that has ever been on a boat can say that a limit on the maximum speed will affect wake size.
If the argument is that there will be less boats, I don't think that will be true. You may lose some go fasts, but as the lake becomes "safer" won't more trailered boats come to the "safe" lake?
That was always the rub. The proponents ignored such topics as enforcement of existing laws, while provided fluff and diversions such as erosion. Like I said many times now, if everyone goes out on Saturdays for a couple of hours and goes Big Wake speed, I'm sure even the most ignorant would wake up to those comments about erosion.

The only real solution to solving any problems, perceived problems, or even just changing conditions, is to have people express their opinions. Real opinions, not BS and lies. That's where the real problems started in the speed limit debates.

1) The proponents lied so often it was hard to keep up. In the end, this law was All about discouraging the GFBL boats from coming back, and it was hoiped they'd mostly all leave.

2) The GFBL crowd refused to acknowledge that some in their ranks (small minority), were ticking off some people with their arrogant behavior. They failed to even acknowledge this, so once again, a few hurt the many

3) The boaters at large are still left with inexperienced new boaters, arrogant and thrillseeking people in bowriders and the like, and the drinks. Nobody knows exactly how the MP will enforce this speed limit, since nobody ever mentioned providing additional funds.

4) The Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly big lie is that this law would provide a safer lake. We'll see. The NWZ obviously were not being enforced as per the many observations and rants of BI. The 150' limit as well was not enforced, as per the same stories and rants.

Too bad people cherish causes more than solutions.