View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #47
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Short answer: No.

But you really don't need a *static* IP, so much as you need a reliable way to access your camera remotely.

This is where DynDNS (based in Manchester, NH ) or similar services come in. They have a way to keep track of your current dynamic IP address, and then update a static hostname with whatever your current IP is.

So, you setup an account at Dyn (they do still have free accounts, but you have to hunt a little to find it), and you get a hostname like BlueThunder.dyn.org and then depending on your exact router and/or camera setup, you configure a bit of client software to update Dyn whenever your public IP changes.

It might sound a tad complex, but it's pretty easy and once you do it, it should be set-and-forget.

If you're less concerned with live views, and only want to see relatively-current static shots, I have a service I've built that makes it so you don't have to rely on any of this, just configure your camera to throw images at my server (note that most, but not all, IP cameras have a "snapshot" feature).

Let me know if you need more info.
THANKS so much. I have that dyn feature in my setup software. I really want the live streaming video though...it makes me feel like I am there. Dammit..I'm so spoiled...and selfish...and...

BT