View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 07:25 PM   #33
Senter Cove Guy

Default Answers To Your Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreeze View Post
Great stuff, the hair on my arms was standing up. Senter cove guy, do you think you are the only one to have found this car? What was that car doing out on the ice anyway? Any thoughts? That must have been a cold ride!
When I found the car, there was basically no human inflicted damage to it that I could see. The steering column had collapsed and the steering wheel was sitting right at the end of the steering column. It was the first thing I touched. I know of 2 people who dove for the car in the early 1960's and neither of them found it. I'm just about certain that I was the first person (other than the recovery diver in 1937) to see the car in the 67 years since it went down. I have personally taken several other divers to see the car and they, in turn, have told others. There has been significant damage done to the car since I found it. I think that someone has salvaged the front windshield. I know it was there initially because I touched it but the last time I dove the car, which was in late 2007, I could not see it. It looked like someone may have punched a hole in the left side of the car and slid the windshield out. That must have been a tricky salvage job.

I have been asked if it was worth trying to raise it. The answer is no because it is so fragile. It would simply fall apart if moved.

Driving on the ice was and still is commonly done. The 2 people in the car were on their way to visit friends who were ice fishing not too far away. And yes, I'm sure it was cold. Did you notice in one of the pictures that the left rear window was half way down? I'm sure they were dressed for the cold.