View Single Post
Old 12-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #18
MikeF-NH

Chances are you will not be just boating in Greens basin after your first few trips. The family will want to go find a place to get ice cream (19 Mile Bay), grab a bite (Wolfboro) do some shopping (Merideth) and you will find that the lake is a very big place and that the areas north and east of Moultonboro Bay are only a small part of the big lake.

When that hankering to explore catching you - you will have found the real adventure of the lake. To get there, you will have to pass through what I feel are some of the most challenging parts of the lake for people not familiar with them. The stretch from Lees Mills out to the open area of Moultonboro Bay is loaded with hazard markers. Once out of that area, getting past 20 and 19 Mile Bay (through the Graveyard or around it) requires paying close attention. Don't just have the chart...learn it before you leave and break your trip into segments. when you finish a segment, stop and pull the chart and review the next segment. Know where you are or stop and get your bearings and proceed with caution.

I love my Navionics chip in my GPS and believe there may be a navionics app for iPhone. That is an electronic map integrated with your GPS so you know exactly where you are and where you are in relation to hazards and channels. Even with 10 years of experience on the lake, Navionics has provided valuable assistance on almost every trip I take.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post: