View Single Post
Old 01-07-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
mcdude

Thanked 1,043 Times in 490 Posts

Thanks for posting that upthesaukee. I never even knew the plaque was there. Here's a little bit more information on the bandstand.....

CLICK HERE FOR THE COMPLETE THREAD
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ndstand+racing

"In the mid 1920s, a group of men from Alton Bay formed a racing association with the idea of racing speedboats and other boats on Lake Winnipesaukee on Alton Bay. Members of the Association were; Lester Downing, Edward Downing, Harry Jones, Martin Lynch, Ralph Stevens and Stephen Lynch. In 1928, the association decided that a bandstand should be built in the bay. The bandstand would be used for two purposes; band concerts and a judging stand for races. The bandstand was built over a large ledge about halfway between the old railway station and Victoria Pier. during the Winter months when the ice was frozen, a crib was built, filled with rocks and a foundation built over this. The bandstand was completed later. Mr. Olie Barnes of Alton was asked to construct the bandstand with the help of the racing committee and a crew of volunteers. The stand was completed and used in 1928 for band concerts and boat races.

The following is from the 1928 Alton Town Report:
Report of the Alton Bay Racing Association
Cash Received:
Donations by subscriptions....................$915.75
Amount received from Whist parties........$134.51
Received from Town of Alton.................$500.00
Deficit........................................... .... $78.54
TOTAL............................................. .$1628.80

Cash paid out:
Frank I. Hayes, 8 Band Concerts...............$660.00
Advertising Mass. Gold Cup Regatta............$30.00
Prizes for Speedboat Races.......................$45.50
Bandstand Construction............................$893.30
TOTAL............................................. ......$1628.80

Labor and materials and the use of teams and trucks were donated by the citizens to the extent of $679.80 making the total cost of the bandstand $1,573.10, which is the property of the Town of Alton.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote