View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 04:58 AM   #268
ApS

Default A Few More Thoughts...

A nicely thought-out self rescue, JayDV. A few additional considerations:

1) Intentionally ground the boat on shore. (If your boat has no flotation).

During the day, head to a beach, a highway, where a docked boat has the cover removed, or where a flag is being flown. McMansions often have caretakers about during the day. If at night, head for a dwelling where there are some indications of year-round occupancy.

2) To bail, you need something to bail with.

An offshore cruising sailor-friend fashioned a big bailer for me by cutting the bottom out of a used big Tide detergent jug. It's pretty rugged, and will restore to a usable shape even when crushed by storage on board. (Because it floats, it can unexpectedly present itself inside the boat—and it's a bright orange color).

The bailing technique he used was to "scoop and throw", using both hands on the bailer and to use a rapid, continuous motion.

3) I'd keep the battery in a plastic battery box—with a strapped-on cover.

Maintaining a bubble of air over the terminals will prolong its useful life for lighting—especially now that the days are shorter and there are fewer opportunities for rescue by other boaters.

4) A boat with a lot of water in it is very hard to keep control of.

Every motion by passengers (inside) or waves (outside) is multiplied several times. Keep your passengers centered and braced against extreme movements.

5) Don't expect to use the built-in drain plug for bailing. Most require a higher boat speed than you'd want to maintain in severe weather.