View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #48
Rich

As others have reported, I have been using the Slingbox too, and watch my HD channels while at the lake, no cable fees. The downside is that you're watching your home cable box, so if someone else is home, you both watch the same channel, or fight over what to watch. LOL

I just started playing with a good VOIP box for cheaper telephone service. Check out Oooma (www.ooma.com), you get a phone number for about $3.75 per month in NH. You can port your current phone number if you want to keep it for an extra one time fee ($40). Of course they have a 'premium' service for $10 a month if you want to use it, but I'm opting out of it.

The Ooma needs an internet connection, and you can take it with you as you move from 'home' to the lake or anywhere else. It should work well as long as you have decent (not slow) internet connection (I think they say 375KB/s or faster, but check the Ooma website. You buy their box for about $150, and then pay just the Fcc taxes and 911 fees per month (about $3.75 for me). Voice quality is great and no need to have a computer turned on. Just connect it to your house phone wiring after disconnecting from the previous landline system (fairpoint, cable, etc.) and all your phones in the house will work with it.