View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
jmen24

CLA, you talked about the shadow effect this last storm had on the lakes region and that is the reason for lack of snow. That creates an interesting question to me. I live in a valley directly at the base of MT. Kearsarge and Ragged Mountian. We get a light snowfall almost daily, I know these mountains are not quite as tall as the others north of the Lake (Mt K is 3300 ft+) but it seems that the clouds hit Kearsarge and then dump everything on the opposite side (North), about 9" this last storm. I know that other areas see the same patterns. In the summer you can actually watch the storm clouds pass on one side of Mt. K or the other.

Talking with some folks that have lived on my side of the mountain say it has always been like this. My question is, are we seeing some sort of compression of the moisture and then a release on the other side or is something else happening all together? Our weather just seems to be completely opposite of what you describe, as the south side of the mountain almost always gets half of what we do.

When I say directly in the valley it is literally, cross the street and start climbing with nothing between us and the top, in both directions.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote