View Single Post
Old 08-05-2004, 08:10 PM   #46
Belmont Resident

Default Sorry cabinefever

I apologize if I read too much into what you were trying to accomplish.
Every summer this subject comes up and every summer some land owners believe they own the lake in front of their property. With that type of attitude eventually no one will be able to get off their boat and touch bottom. That coupled with someone saying that the beaches over at Timber have been roped off.
I spent some time this afternoon trying to get the subject of who owns the lake clarified by the people who issue the permits for swim areas over at the Marine patrol headquarters. This is what I was told.
The lake is not private property for starters. From the waters edge to the deepest point it is all there for public use. Same as someone walking down the road in front of your house, they are also on the same public property... As long as a person’s feet are wet they are in essence standing on public property. Once they step onto dry land they are trespassing.
A roped off swim area is also public property. All the rope is supposed to do is keep boaters out. That is why all swim areas must be completely closed off at both ends. The water within that area is still open to all who wish to venture in and swim so long as they do not come onto land.
So I’m sorry if I took this to heart but I get passionate about the subject based on previous postings by land owners such as you. It wasn’t so much what you said but others who feel they own the lake in front of their property that set me off.
Also know that I do not nor have I left any trash on Timber Island or any other shore on the lake. My wife and I almost always pick up anything we see floating in the water. I’ve acquired a nice queen size air mattress and an assortment of life jackets, bumpers and throw able floats over the years floating in the lake.
That being said good luck with your new place.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote