View Single Post
Old 07-28-2004, 10:46 PM   #1
cabinfever

Default Dilemma over boats anchoring off our beach

We recently bought a long-abandoned island property with several beautiful beaches and conservation protected acreage. The place is a dream except for the fact that the protected shores have long drawn boaters who have become accustomed to anchoring off its shores -- or on its shores. The beaches were one of the key reasons for our purchase. In the few times we've tried to bring our own boats in to shore to these areas, we have yet to be able to, due to the many vessels blocking our way. Luckily, to date we've had little free time from working on the property. So it hasn't become an entirely aggravating situation - yet. Often times, people have also been on the shores though, likely doing their "business". And when we can get to the beaches through this land route, the boat anchors are usually in the shallows, so we can't really swim anyway. A few times, I've asked the boaters to move further off shore for the kids to swim and they've obliged when they've learned we're the property owners. On one occasion though, a boater initially resisted moving, noting how we could swim "over to the right".

The old property signs are worn and faded, and most people probably believe the island is state-owned or still abandoned. So I can't really blame them for continuing their ways. However, even when new signs are posted, I fear we'll still have the problem just off the shores. Waterfront land owners don't legally own into the water, but we should be able to access our own property by boat and swim off our immediate shore without having to navigate anchors in a foot of water, no? Thus the dilemma. What's the etiquette that anchoring boaters should follow? And, are there any legal rights for waterfront property owners?

The island is beautiful and I'd love for people to continue enjoying its protected coves, but I'm looking for a compromise. How we can enjoy our own investment as much as they are?
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote