View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 12:22 PM   #5
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
"Drive the boat to and onto the trailer under idle power. Do not use more than idle power and do not make everyone wait while you try to manhandle the boat onto the trailer with lines. The boat has and engine for a reason, use it."

Be careful about "power loading". Many ramps have restrictions specifically prohibiting this. Ramps that have poured concrete or concrete planks only go so far into the water. When you power load you displace the lake bottom at the end of the planks.

When someone comes along with a longer trailer or a larger boat they go off the end of the concrete and the trailer drops. In some situations when there has been a lot of power loading I have seen trailers go off the end and drop down to a point where the trailer frame is on the ground. There is no easy or inexpensive recovery from this.
Driving onto the trailer at idle speed is not what most consider "power loading". Power loading is when you use the engine rather than the winch to get the boat all the way to the bow stop. That said, if there's any doubt, shut the engine off a second or two before the boat contacts the trailer, that's what I do. I've done it several times in front of F&G officers right next to signs that say "No Power Loading" and I have never been hassled. I also asked the Downings how they defined power loading and they feel the same way I do.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links