Thread: Lake Riding
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
Belmont Resident

Default Exactly what I ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
I believe BR is not blaming the snowmobile clubs for the difference in registration fees, but drawing attention to the inequities in fees for Residents, and Non Residents who own property and pay taxes who are classified with Non Residents who are visitors.

I understand these policies are established by elected officials at the State level. Since Non Residents cannot vote in state elections, it is an easier call for legislators to increase their fees.
Until something is changed the clubs will continue to suffer.
I personally have done every job except drive a groomer. That all came to a head when I started adding up my cost and took a good look at just who the volunteers were and where they were from. In my case and in the case of many of the surrounding snowmobile clubs it seemed to always be the none residents who showed up and took an interest.
Now I pay my registration fee and I ride.
All of these state officials, many of which probably don't know a snowmobile from a snow blower need to get with the program before it is to late. Registration rates should be the same for everyone regardless of what state your from. Every single one of us rides the same trails why should one pay more then the other. It just so happens that the state, Maine, that I ride in happens to be the worst. Then if you make everyone pay the same you have a reason to expect help from none residents and would probably get more willing volunteers.
OK I'm done now.