View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #41
Skip

Post Dealer penalties for pawning stolen goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise Point View Post
... There is absolultely NO incentive for them to be dilligent in making sure that any goods that they take in are not stolen, because if they sell the item, they keep all of the money and make a profit...
I respectfully disagree.

JRC several posts up provided everyone with RSA 637:7.

I'll repeat it here:

"...The knowledge or belief required for paragraph I is presumed in the case of a dealer who:
(a) Is found in possession or control of property stolen from 2 or more persons on separate occasions; or
(b) Has received other stolen property within the year preceding the receiving charged; or
(c) Being a dealer in property of the sort received, retained or disposed, acquires it for a consideration which he knows is far below its reasonable value, or
(d) Purchases property from a law enforcement officer working in an undercover capacity, or an agent of such law enforcement officer, where such property has been explicitly represented as stolen.
III. As used in this section, ""receives'' means acquiring possession, control or title or lending on the security of the property; and ""dealer'' means a person in the business of buying or selling goods..."

This law holds a pawn shop or dealer to very high standards if they violate the law. If the item in question is valued between $500 and $1000 then the dealer is guilty of a Class B felony, and above $1000 a Class A felony.

Yes there is always some dealer that may try to make a fast buck but actual prosecutions are rare as the offending dealer will face basically the same charges as the thief he bought from.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote