View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Never noticed the depth and height difference.My 6th edition has that info clearly printed on the front of the chart.Thanks.
I was actually a little surprised it wasn't right out in the open like that.
It does state the depth and height datums, under the "depths and Heights" notes, but it's rather confusing and unclear if your reading through quickly.

Normally on navigational charts it will clearly state right under the title of the chart, that the depths are in feet and what they are referenced to (typically Mean lower low water for the ocean), as well, it will state that heights are in feet and referenced (usually) to mean higher high water, for the same reasons, to give the mariner a little safety margin.

I do think that a good idea would be to use all "feet" as the units on the chart. It can be confusing to look at the chart, and see "meters" used for the topo lines and elevations for land, which clearly show an "m" after each number, however, for depths and heights it uses meters. This is pretty nitpicky but overall it's not a good idea to use feet and meters in one chart, they should be all the same units, either feet OR units, and of course, being an inland U.S. chart, it should all be in feet.

Overall, the Bizer chart is by far the most useful navigational tool I have seen for the lake, and I consider it indispensable. They've done an excellent job with their charts.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote