View Single Post
Old 01-20-2005, 02:26 PM   #1
Russtic

Default Alton Bay Penny Sale

Hello!
My cousin Sue and I were reminiscing about the lake last night and the subject of the Penny Sale came up. For those that aren't familiar with it, it was an annual event (held by the Alton Police or Fire Association?) on the first Friday in August in a tent by the bandstand. It started in 1971 but we can't remember when it ended.
Local merchants would donate items (Blue Jay golf passes, gift certificates, motor oil, boat accessories, clothing, etc.). You'd buy numbered tickets, 100 for a dollar, and put them in cups to try and win whatever floated your boat. People would sit in their lawn chairs or cars and listen to the caller on microphone as the drawings went on all night. "On a blue ticket, 246795." Winners would shout out or "honk" if they were in their car. A blanket came in handy as it got late and food from Pop's made a nice snack.
Our family had a great time at this event with a mix of us there every year (my cousin Sue never missed one!) We got a little carried away as we talked about it last night and decided to recreate the penny sale at a family gathering on the first Friday in August! Should be a lot of fun.
What would be more fun is if the real Penny Sale came back! Does anyone know why this event ended? Is there any interest in reviving it?
Russtic is offline   Reply With Quote