Thread: How's the ice
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2015, 08:35 AM   #22
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
The lake froze late this year, but had little to no snow on it and below normal temperatures for the last few weeks. Except for areas that never freeze, ice on the whole lake should be at least 5" thick, considered safe for a snowmobile. Ice is already over 15" in some areas.

Use extra caution when you are making fresh tracks, especially in the broads. If you are sledding with others, keep your distance so if one goes in, the others are still on the surface to help. And, watch out for the pressure ridges.

As I mentioned in another thread, the rear of my sled broke through the ice going over an ice ridge yesterday in Moultonborough Bay, between Loon Island and Buzzell's Cove. I've crossed many ridges in 20+ years of riding, always with a bit of apprehension, but never had a problem. This year, I left a large puddle in my wake and am glad my habit is to speed up before crossing ridges. I hope that anyone following my tracks hits the gas rather than the brakes when seeing the five foot puddle I left behind. I did not see any better place to cross the ridge (and plenty of worse places), but am confident others will try this weekend and some will succeed.
Do you feel you broke right through completely or was there another layer of ice underneath??

Scary either way!!