View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #38
Mee-n-Mac

Cool R.i.t.b.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Many boaters need more time on the water, and need to be more aware that they aren't the only ones out there. Far too many people depend on the other boater to move out of the way for them, and many drive their boats as if on a two-lane highway in a straight line. A major part of the problem is lack of courtesy.
Is that my cue for my yearly rant about people coming down the "wrongside" of the bay regardless of what their course does to oncoming boaters ? In any case Winni is a less nervewracking microcosm of the driving behavior seen on our streets. It's not "my way or the highway", now the saying goes "it's my highway, get outta the way". Sadly I see this boating 'tude with all sorts of craft and across all age groups. My horn is on the fritz so this year I really am going to rig up a big fart-sounding horn (and mebbe that stink bomb tosser) to let people know what I think about their boating etiquette.

As for informing boaters of the rules ... I recall an idea from the olde days. We could have "Burma-Shave" signs on all the numbered bouys and town docks. Each would have a witticism that would stick in peoples minds. We could have a contest, you have to photo all 80+ signs, win a prize (not shaving creme). So what would be a good 150' reminder ...

APS had a good idea but in keeping up with the changing times ... we could have can kozzies made with a "rule of the road" on 1 side and some Winni related pic on the other. The NHMP could sell them at all the local stores, mebbe even make a profit. A sure hit at all the sandbars.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mee-n-Mac For This Useful Post: