View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
We ran away and hid... We saw multiple Rattlesnake properties with this problem. We found one where the old piers had been pulled and replaced with 2 ft square pads that were probably only a foot thick... 3 guesses what happened to them too?

We're still working on our island purchase, but the one we're pretty close to buying has very nice 12" piers with between 6" and 12" sticking out of the ground. Of course we have no way of knowing how deep they are, but everything looks square and whoever built it had a pretty good idea which end of the hammer to hold.
Yeah it's pretty amazing some of the places I looked at - scratched my head at what the person doing the work was thinking, then was in awe the place was still standing. Fairly common place on the islands to have interesting construction methods used, some are downright scary though. The footings are something not easily dealt with nor would I imagine cheap to fix. Sad thing is I'd seen a couple really nicely renovated places that were very well done, all for nothing as the footings were junk.

Keep up the search, you'll find the right place. When I bought mine it was a no brainer soon as I looked under the building and did a quick walk around! It's so worth it once you got it. As many on here have told me in the past as I was going through the process, there is NOTHING like being out there on the island. Only problem I have now is not thinking about it during the week at work!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote