Thread: Fire protection
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2022, 08:26 PM   #6
panjumbie

Default Oh Halotron, not Halon

I now read more closely (my bad) But Halotron, basically a repurpose of the refrigerant HCFC123 with some additives has its own issues.

In fact HCFC123 is being phased out as a refrigerant because it also is an ozone depleting gas. Not as severe as Halon, but severe enough that there is an international agreement to stop using it in new equipment in 2020 and no longer be available for repairs in 2030.

As a firefighting agent, it was developed and is marketed by a company that uses a website of the same name, Halotron.

It is apparently not approved as a firefighting agent in residences. If you read through the whole SDS (formerly MSDS) sheet you might think twice about using it, at least without self contained breathing apparatus.

Quoting from the SDS:Precautionary Statements:
P261: Avoid breathing vapors/spray
P271: Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area
P304+P340: IF INHALED: Remove person to fresh air and keep comfortable for breathing
P 312 Call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician if you feel unwell
P403+P233: Store in a well-ventilated place. Keep container tightly closed.
P405: Store locked up
P501: Dispose of contents/container to an approved waste disposal plant

Information pertaining to particular dangers for man and environment: Inhalation of high concentrations of
vapour may cause central nervous system effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, anesthesia, or unconsciousness.
When used on a fire, hazardous decomposition products are formed, but typically are within safe emergency
exposure limits. Misuse or intentional inhalation abuse may lead to death without warning.

And you might want to also read the SDS for the HCFC123 which is 96 percent of the Halotron mixture. Do you really want to breathe this stuff?

Personally, I'd stick to a CO2 extinguisher. Yes, CO2 can be injurious, but at greater concentrations.

Beyond that, which is more important, your equipment or your life or health?
panjumbie is online now   Reply With Quote