View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
fatlazyless

As everyone knows, water expands about 10% when it turns into ice, and will crack the standard black 1 1/4" diameter black poly flex tubing. For more money, one can get a high-pressure black poly tubing that expands and does not crack when the water inside it freezes and still works with no leaks after the ice thaws out.

Gilford Well sells a waterline heated cable made either by Pyrotennax or now by Tyco that includes a hi-pressure black poly tube of, for example, 100 or 150' length, an inside-the-pipe heated cable, and a 220-volt control box with a thermostat sensor that will turn the heated cable inside the black tube on & off depending on the thermostat which gets placed into the yard outside your cottage. A set-up for 125' runs on 888-watts.

And, of course, the pump and water tank needs to be kept in a heated space, like in the kitchen near the kitchen sink or somewhere.

I installed one of these systems back in 1992, and it has worked perfectly ever since because I am the greatest waterline installer ever, ever, ever, in the world history of water! So, if I can do it, maybe you can too, but I seriously doubt it?