View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
NoBozo

If you said One Person....I would recommend a Laser....assuming you are reasonably physically fit. FAST..easy to sail..daggerboard, and easy to SELL when you decide to go bigger. It's a BIG International Racing Class.

If you are looking to sit back and relax a little bit...I recommend an old O'Day "Daysailer"...centerboard. Carry two or three other people when you feel like it....you could put a small outboard on it to get you back to the dock when the wind dies. The wind dies often enough on Winni.

You asked about Keel Vs. Centerboard. My choice for the lake would be Centerboard...hands down.

PROs: You can hit .."pass over" a rock with most centerboards and it will retract itself without damage, thereby allowing you to navigate in shallow water. Centerboard boats are faster offwind/downwind because you normally lift the CB, reducing water resistance on that point of sail. Easy trailerable.

CONs: CB boats are more "Tender" in a breeze, meaning you will have to shift your weight more often in a puff..

Keel Boats: PROs: Are more stable in a breeze...less shifting of your weight in the puff. More secure feeling.

Keel Boats: CONs: Most keel boats over about 17 feet, although trailerable, will be a PAIN in the butt to launch and retrieve because of the depth of water needed to float the boat off the cradled trailer. Sailboat masts are a lot of work to (step) "put up"..either ON the trailer OR in the water.

Beware of Keel-Centerboard boats. They are a compromise and they do Nothing Well. They are always SLOW.

Last edited by NoBozo; 06-25-2009 at 09:10 AM.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote