Thread: Dock Lines
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #14
NoBozo

Default "AWAY" Dock lines

I have a 20' (2700#) Donzi runabout. My Away dock lines are 3/8 inch Three Strand (twisted) Nylon with a bowline loop at ONE end. The bowline will go on a cleat on the boat. The other (plain) end will go on the dock..no matter how the dock is arranged. Each dock line is 26 feet long overall...with the Bowline already tied in. I have TWO away docklines. They are of such length that the Tail (leftover) end can be used as a spring...back to the boat...on rare occasions.

Everybody who has this type of boat....including the Antique Chris Crafts, has a Lifting Ring on the bow and stern. These people have a permanent dock line attached to this lifting ring....leading back to the cockpit when underway. I don't use these for tying up.

My boat has the windscreen about halfway back from the bow. The fore deck is....A Fore deck. This is Not an open bowrider. My "Bow" cleat is located about two feet in front of the windscreen..so I can stand up from the drivers seat and reach over and connect/disconnect my "Bow" line while docking.

As arranged, my Bow line actually works as a "Bow" line AND a "Spring" line. Once underway..ALL my docklines are removed from their cleats and stowed in the cockpit.

Everyone will have their own routine for docking/undocking. Some will work better than others. What I have described works for me. NB

EDIT: Please NOTE: There is a Bowline..A KNOT, and then there is a Bow Line..A ROPE.

Last edited by NoBozo; 06-01-2012 at 06:25 PM.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote