Thread: Hummingbirds
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2005, 02:28 PM   #21
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Exclamation Bear on Rattlesnake Island - What Do We Need To Know?

I am quite sure that the bear made a visit to our hummingbird feeder. It was completely empty and a couple of the perches were off. Rattlesnake Guy agreed that something had to have pulled them off. If the feeder is tipped the nectar just runs out in a stream, so the missing perches would have left room for a sip. There was some light scratches on the plastic with the missing perches were, around the raised flower that the birds drink from. They weren’t there when I cleaned it and hung it up last Saturday. Also there were new scratches on the deck below the feeder, but nothing noticeable anywhere else. The way I hung the feeder made it not come off when pulled. Thankfully it just drank and left everything in tact. A polite bear, this time anyway. We’ll have to figure out some way to bear-proof the feeder to leave it out for when we are not at the lake.
What else do we need to know about living with bears? Obviously, don’t leave food around, especially at night in a tent. I think the mulch pile will be a bad idea this year. Darn it.
Where do bears go during the day? Under trees? Caves? I have no idea.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote