View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #29
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
IMO, I think the whole "local" thing is a bit of scam or misdirection sometimes. I've seen plenty of "local" business owners run a skeleton crew, and then take their profits to buy a nice place in Naples, where they spend the majority of the earnings from the business.

The employees of a "big box store" are locals, and are usually spending their paycheck in the local community. It's not like these stores are siphoning money out of the community, and in many cases they are able to create MORE jobs and availability of products or services than similar local businesses could.

There is this perception that local business means everything is staying within the community, when frequently that is not really the case.

When it comes to eating, I'm generally not a fan of large franchised outlets in general. But, I'm not making my decisions based on a misconception of where the profits are going.

Yeah it's a constant debate over the big box vs the small town guy. I get that. But I have witnessed many times the big guys come into a small community and put multiple business's out of business. As I'm sure you have seen as well. Maybe I'm just that guy who enjoys supporting the business that's owned and run by a local family rather than the big conglomerate that even though their sales pitch to the community might be that of more jobs, they still take their profit and shuttle it back to the big home office and it goes from there.