View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Glass View Post
We went out Saturday afternoon and tried everything from 15' - 25', long lines and down riggers. We got skunked. It was a beautiful afternoon in the boat with my wife along so the day was still a win.
Sunday AM. Had a nice fish on the lead at four colors and lost it at the boat. Another small Salmon on the lead, then that was it for us. Later in the afternoon I got a 21" Salmon at 33' in Meredith! What gives with the depth range anyway?
I'm not so sure it's the depth range as it was color and lure. I can't tell you how many lure color combo's we tried Saturday before we got something to finally work. I think you can always find one or two deeper or shallower than the majority. We were reading a lot of fish in the 15' - 20' range that just were not biting. Even my old standby lure which is an orange and black dot DB smelt didn't even get a hit Saturday or Sunday (I was stubborn and kept it on one pole both days! ). Probably would of been better off trolling live bait (smelt) real slow but it's such a P.I.A. to get them and keep them alive I rarely bother doing it anymore.

I also did not try any flies this weekend and probably should have. Chris Chapman of Chappy's Guide tied some beautiful custom heron flies for me that I have been meaning to try out, see below. These are a modified wood duck heron fly with black and orange marabou tail. The orange was my idea since orange seems to be a big color on the lake. Hopefully I'll get to try them this weekend.

Anyway, the time spent on the water fishing is always enjoyable whether they are biting or not, especially when the sun is shining and the lake is calm like this past weekend!!

Tight lines!

Dan
Attached Images

ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post: