View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
sa meredith

Default Squam Lake Boat Tour...FANTASTIC!!!

Althought I had not planned on posting a review, I need to give a shout out to the Squam Lake Science Center Boat Tour of Squam.
Just so much better than I ever expected. We went on Monday (yesterday) at 11AM, just for something different to do.
While my intent is not to bore everyone with all the details, I want to hit a few key points that made it so entertaining for me...although if people want extra details or have questions, just ask...I'm happy to answer.
First of all...I am a huge fan of the movie. I've watched On Golden Pond no less than 7 or 8 times. If I come across it while channel surfing, I just can't look away. And a few weeks back, watched it from front to back, for the first time in a while.
Our guide (AL...great, great job) took the time to point all the parts on the lake were famous scenes were filmed.
The gas dock, where Norman speeds away, after his conversation with the two teenage boys.
The boat house, where Ethal goes looking for help when the boys are out past dark, and she thinks they are in trouble.
And, for me anyway, the most famous scene...where Billy crashes the boat, tossing Norman into the water, and Billy jumps in after him.
Al brought us by what was called "Pergatory Cove" in the movie, and pointed out the actual rocks that were used...the first one being the one the boat hit, and the second the one, the two held on to until help arrived.
Seeing them live and in person was pretty cool...if you are a fan of the movie.
Anyway...we also went by the eagles nest, where the same two eagles have now returned for the 8th straight year. Each year, they have produced 1 or 2 off spring, but this year, 3. And yep, we got to see all three. Although he said they may be gone soon. They are fledglings...able to fly, but still dependant on mom and dad to feed them. One was perched over the nest, the other two on very near by islands. We never got to see mom or dad eagle, which is too bad, as I have yet to see an eagle with the white hood having already grown in. But still...very very cool, to have the eagles eye us as we past by. Nope, no camera. Way to plan ahead, right?
Lastly, if you ever wanted to learn A LOT about loons, much of the tour (over 50 percent) is devoted to learning facts about them. We saw many, and he showd us some of the man made nest that are put out for then each year...which we were told, the loons quickly warm up to.
The most interesting fact, for me, was to learn that one of the biggest challeges for the young chicks to survive, after they are hatched, is the threat of being killed by...other loons. Yep...single, unattached, adult loons (called rogue loons) try to break up "happy couples" by attacking them, or, more commonly, killing their babies. These birds have major violent steaks in them.
Anyway...well worth the $22. Go over there and take the tour soon, and maybe catch a glimse the new eagles, before they move out.
Much more learned on the tour, but enough for now.
If anyone is curious about any other aspect of it, I'll be happy to answer.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post: