View Single Post
Old 12-02-2016, 09:16 AM   #31
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Have you ever actually sat on a dock in the Med and watched this being done in person??

I have, it requires "all hands on deck" to gently maneuver the boat into it's near impossible slip by "gently pushing off" the boats on either side -- an inordinate number of "fenders" are also employed.

Given the 80/20 rule of seasoned Captains vs rookies -- this style of docking would be a DISASTER on Winni. I have a 3 minute video on my phone that I shot in Nice of just such a docking but can't figure out how to upload.

Have I sat on a dock in person watching in Nice or elsewhere in the Med area? Nope. But I have watched literally dozens of clips. The vast majority of clips show highly professional and proficient captains handling their vessels in all sorts of weather. Some clips are best described as boating fails. Would this style docking work on Winnipesaukee? Not without creating a whole new series of boating fails. Could a competent skipper do it here? Yes. But I am sure it would create more problems than it would solve. Brought up more with tongue in cheek than serious consideration. And yes Tis, sometimes I can stir the pot.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app