View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
Dave R

Default Awesome Customer Service in Southern NH

My LG plasma TV died. I opened it up and started troubleshooting. I felt that I had it narrowed down to the Z sustain board, but wanted to be sure before I spent any money on it. I called a TV repair place nearby that I'd used before. The guy had treated me well years ago when he fixed my old Trinitron and and I wanted to give him my business. I explained the problem to him and asked him if it was worth fixing. He told me a way to ensure it is just the Z sustain board (it is) and said "It's probably just the two MOSFETS on the board; you sound like you know some electronics, test Q13 and Q14 and let me know if they are shorted." I did, they were indeed shorted, so I looked up the part numbers for them, found higher power rated (for longer life) replacements and called him back. I was still planning to bring it to him for repair even though I know I can replace the two parts. He said, "I'll just get you the parts, you can put them in right?".

The parts are due in on Friday. They came to 7 bucks, with shipping to his shop. The guy thought I was silly to suggest he fix it when he could just tell me how. Hopefully, that's all that is wrong with it. I really appreciate his honesty and willingness to help.

The shop is called Exeter Television Service. It's in Exeter, NH.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post: