View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
songkrai

The Sears store is question is a franchise store. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

Sears has traveled a bit since it was one time the largest retailer in the world. Sears Tower in Chicago was the pinacle of the Sears empire. Including offices and the largest distribution center the building was completed in the mid/late 1960's. Just about the time that Home Depot and others were starting up in California and Arkansas.

The current story begins with the filing of bankruptcy of KMart. Edward S. Lampert purchased much of the assets and real estate of KMart from bankruptcy court. Edward S. Lampert and others leveraged that and KMart purchased Sears Stores. Then this company changed it's name to Sears Holdings or some such wording. So the investors of bankrupt KMart buy Sears. Then change the name to Sears.

Almost everyone in my generation used to shop Sears. At one time you could purchase almost anything at Sears from pre-packaged homes to cars to motorcycles and all sorts of tools, furniture, appliances, and clothing and on and on. There was a Sears Catalog store in almost every city/town in the country. Sears was on top and all others were small potatos.

Times have changed. Sears Holdings is attempting a turnaround for both KMart and Sears stores.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote