View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 04:23 PM   #36
Mee-n-Mac

Cool More myths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Jack
It might just be me, but for some reason, I am not as fearful of a drunken kid paddling around in a kayak, an 80 year old having a couple of swigs before he heads out in his little 5HP fishing dingy, or my aunt putting around in her 45HP 22MPH pontoon boat after she has had one too many sips of wine. They are certainly all breaking the law and certainly all pose some danger, but I don't think they are nearly as dangerous to other boaters (not even in the same league) as the macho GFBL guy with the heavy throttle hand and the bikini babe at his side whose been pouring himself margaritas all day in a 12000 pound boat that can go over 100 MPH.
I'll take my chances with the drunken kayaker any day.
{snip}
I can't say I worry much about the drunk kayaker either but the other statement above [emphasis added] indicates a lack of understanding about how dangerous a boat can be. There seems to be a sentiment that if someone gets T-boned by a "small" boat or a slow boat it'll probably all work out OK. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Littlefeild shows that you don't need speed to cause serious injury or fatality. Think it'll be OK if the boat is "small" ? Well if it were something the size of FLL's vessel then perhaps, but the majority of "lake sized" boats are already big enough, and HB-162 speeds fast enough, to cause serious injury or death. You seem to dismiss non-GFBL drunks, who have to compromise 95+% of the BUI problem, while concentrating on the remaining 5%. I wonder why