Thread: Fessing up
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 08:10 PM   #17
lfm

Thumbs down 13 years old to spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbathe
Regarding the number and types of spotters, the intent is that you have a spotter for each rider and that the spotter is capable of rendering aid to the rider(s). If, God forbid, your 250-pound skier is rendered unconcious during a fall, you're going to want more than a 90 pound 13-year-old trying to get him/her back in the boat. Luckily those circumstances are rare, but the thinking behind the rules make pretty good sense -- safety of the rider.

This topic reminds of the night I saw a single driver (no observer) towing a father and daughter on a tube toward the broads -- a harmless situation that could so quickly turn ugly. Now if we can just get some summer weather back!
I would trust my 10 year old son to spot for me, and have been frustrated on many occasions when it has been just Mom and son on the boat - so no skiing for me. Ironically, if I am interpreting the boating regs correctly, Mom could along with her safe boating certificate allow him to take the helm while she spotted for the skier. Certainly not prudent, or within the spirit of the regs, but within the letter of the law?
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote