Thread: Fessing up
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2006, 07:01 PM   #13
SBC

Default Ring any bells?

The NH law states that any vessel 26 feet and longer must carry a bell on board. The other requirement in sound producing devices for a vessel that size is that you have a hand (read sports type can) or power horn audible for at least one mile.

Why a bell? If during operation your power systems were to fail you would have the back-up of a bell. This makes more sense when you think that a boat of this size is more likely to be out on the ocean, a much more trying environment than the inland waters. When you play with the big boys on the big pond redundancy is your friend.

Another fact is that a bell can be heard for miles in most conditions. Think of any visit you have made to the coast and you might have heard a gong (buoy bell) while you were strolling on the beach or whatever. The sound of that gong was probably from several miles away-but you still heard it. You can't always say that about some of those wimpy horns they put on boats that sound like buzzers. The one on my runabout sounds like that and I hate it. I'm not a VW Beetle...but too cheap to buy bigger.

And therein is another piece of logic behind the requirement-the bigger the vessel the more 'power' you need to signal, the more fire extinguishers you need, etc.

Length of your boat, sometime in combination with other factors, also determines how much it will cost to register.

And Kamper is exactly right; two spotters to each watch the two being towed. The spotters must be 13 y.o. minimum and able bodied-that is able to assist those in the water that they are responsible to watch. Of course we know the operator, in NH, does not qualify as a spotter. The spotters will keep a sharp lookout on the fallen skier(s) and sometimes maintain a 'pointing' stance so that the operator can watch traffic and maneuver, safely, to recover the person in the water from the operators side of the vessel, thereby maintaining good visual contact.

The 150' safe passage rule applies to recovering and guarding your skier in the water too. I hate to see those operators whip around and be in such a hurry that they practically run over the person that just got a pant load of water in a fall. Seems they just don't know how much momentum a 3000 lb. boat has and they 'swamp' the swimmer with massive wakes.

Sorry, got off the subject...

Enjoy your new craft for many years. Some envy you for as we boaters all know, bigger is better!
SBC is offline   Reply With Quote