Thread: Dismal Start
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #13
ClosetExtrovert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
And, which side of the lake is the Walmart side? This refers to the 'before' residential structures that exist on the waterfront, as in before they get torn down and replaced by a much more substantial structure. According to any Winnipesaukee town's individual address assessment, the value of a waterfront lot can be as much as 90% land value, and 10% house value.

It would be difficult to write up a dictionary definition describing the Walmart side of the lake, but when you see a waterfront house that is over on the 'Walmart side of the lake,' you'll recognize it right away.

Frequently, a real estate listing of a house for sale on the Walmart side will be showing a photo of the view and the dock and will exclude the existing house from the photo.

If you live on the Walmart side, then you are probably sweat'n your yearly property taxes of 6-12k/year. If you live on the beautifull, non-Walmart side, you probably think that the relatively high property taxes are terrific, because along with them, there is no NH personal income tax or any NH capital gains tax.

Oh, you mean the McMansions on the lakefront vs the quaint rustic cabins from the 50's and 60's. Gotcha. I'm with the Walmart side, too, then. 6 to 12 is steep! How do retirees afford that?
I live in NJ and my property taxes are rediculous, too. I have a 3 bedroom split and we're paying 8k in property taxes along with state income tax and sales tax. For this we get the privledge of living in our home, paying our mortgage and, sometimes, garbage collection. I have no idea how young people will ever be able to afford a home here.
ClosetExtrovert is offline   Reply With Quote