View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Grant

Default Abenaki Tower Vandalism

As if the constant, incessant defacing of Abenaki Tower wasn't bad enough (and believe me, it's reached new levels of ridiculousness this year), now it seems that vandals are not just content in leaving their awful "artwork" on the Tower itself, but on the rocks along the trail leading to the site.

As someone who's been fortunate enough to enjoy the Tower (and its predecessor) for my entire life, it befuddles me to no end imaging the mindset of someone who does this (and trust me, I've seen it all up there -- everything from a full-sized bedroom mirror smashed on the top level to a pile of human poop left behind). The conversation probably goes like this:

"Hey, let's go to Abenaki Tower and check out the views!"

"Okay, sounds like fun! But wait -- I have to go fetch my yellow spray paint, a few fat Sharpie markers, a brush, and perhaps a can of paint. Can't climb the tower without scrawling infantile nonsense all over it for everyone to enjoy!"

When we're at the Lake, which is often, we visit the Tower daily -- usually for sunset. I would love, just once, to be there when someone is toting a brush and paint...just to ask them what they think they are accomplishing...if there's a sense of achievement or satisfaction gained from painting a big yellow pac man on the Tower. If they possessed half a brain (which is highly doubtful), they'd be mightily embarrassed.

This is probably a futile rant, because the typical vandal would never be on this forum -- it takes more than one brain cell to type a URL into a browser.