View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #20
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Would I wear a helmet in a car? No not for daily ordinary street and highway driving. Off road and race track or similar, yes I would.

Would I wear it in a car if required by law?? Well I certainly hope it would never get to that but if it did what choice would I have so I would be forced to say yes.

Do I wear my seat belt? 95% of the time. I have one vehicle that does not remind me with those annoying chimes to put it on so I occasionally forget when driving that vehicle. I wear it by choice not because I am forced to.

My point is it is clear fact that more lives would be saved if those driving autos wore helmets yet no one goes around trying to legislate it because it affects their "comfort" level. Its a double standard and total B.S. The argument about taxpayers paying for brain trauma and so on is also bogus as once again 10 times more head trauma comes from auto accidents than motorcycles.

I don't want or need the local or federal government to force their double sided safety standards on me. I do not need their help to protect me from myself.

Maybe we should outlaw rock climbing, down hill skiing and bob sled racing too after all those are dangerous sports and we don't want the taxpayers to have to pick up the pieces when an accident happens. Heck we might as well let the feds tell us what sports are safe and what's not. I having a feeling though we would all be playing touch nerf football!

Keep letting the feds get their foot in the door and soon they will be telling you how fast you can go in your boat on Winnipesaukee.... oh yeah, never mind...

Take care;

Dan
I agree with most everything you state here; I wasn't trying to argue with you.

One thing I'd like to point out; you suggest 10 times more head trauma comes from auto accidents than motorcycles (I'm not holding you to that number!) but could the reason for that be the fact that there are way more cars on the road than bikes? Wikipedia says there are 234,524,000 cars, pickups and SUVs on the road and 6,686,000 bikes. I think that more than explains the differential in head trauma between cars and bikes. Again, not trying to argue, just stating a fact.

For the record, I probably only wear my seat belt about 80% of the time. Of our 3 vehicles, only one beeps constantly until I buckle up. The second one just blinks a red light on the dash as a reminder (so that one's easy to ignore) and the third has an automatic shoulder belt but a manual lap belt which I rarely ever use. So my bad but I'm fine with it.
Wolfeboro_Baja is offline   Reply With Quote