View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Default Compass thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgold44
I've got a problem w/my compass. There is about a 30 degree variance between my compass reading that's factory installed in my dashboard & the reading on my GPS.
I can account for 15 degrees of that. The difference between true north (your GPS) and magnetic north (your compass).

To see if the other 15 degrees is related to positioning in the boat you could remove the compass and check the reading on land or various other places in your cockpit. Odds are that the compass is near some metal that is throwing the reading off. Even the engine could through it off. There usually is a "tweak" of some sort on the compass that allows you to make some adjustments to compensate for some amount of variation. Check your owners manual.

I'm sure others will chime in on this.

P.S. My factory installed compass kept breaking. I replaced 3 or 4 while under warranty. The last one lasted longer but finally broke. I haven't replaced it for several years. I figure that on the lake you need to know where you are before the compass helps you. If I already know where I am, why do I need the compass? Is it open water or an island at 250 degrees? Depends on where you are.

OK, I do carry a boy scout compass on board just in case I ever find a need for one.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote