View Single Post
Old 12-06-2007, 06:18 AM   #294
ApS

Question Me, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wires1999
Wow, is the bottom of the lake in that area or most areas like that? I suspected the bottom to be more "cluttered" with rocks, vegetation, etc.
I thought the same thing.

It's been 20,000 years since the last glacier that could have affected the lake—melted—and dropped its load of soil, clay, sand, and boulders.

Since then, there has been a lot of wind-blown sand, silt, tree trunks, and other naturally-occurring litter left on the ice—not to mention man-made litter. I suspect what debris is visible above the bottom in the image is "recent", and the boat is sitting in a few inches of silt accumulated over tens of thousands of years. (Alternating natural forest fires/floods).

That said, there are certainly places of huge boulder fields, where the glaciers pushed or dropped them. New York's Long Island is said to be composed of New England glacial "bulldozings".

Lake bottom image from previous page:

There also may be pockets of salt water in the deeps from naturally-occurring chemicals plus road salt, making a totally different environment for salt-tolerant species within a freshwater lake!

Some deep lakes have itsy-bitsy crayfish species (one millimeter long) in their depths. 'Could be an interesting study for a college student.