View Single Post
Old 01-04-2024, 01:12 PM   #43
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts
Default Section 8

Merrimac must have a different demographic than Laconia. I've had experience with Section 8 housing and it's clientele since 1979. For every "nice" family, there are many, many more "not so nice" families. One thing they have in common is that they are allergic to working. Very few, if any, have full time jobs. Almost without exception, when a tenant moves out, the entire unit needs to be remodeled, sometimes down to the studs. Several years ago, one of my sons assisted my dad in cleaning out an unoccupied unit. He could not believe what he saw.

John correctly stated that it is difficult to invest in business at a municipal level, it takes partnership with the state. However, at a local level, we can limit the amount of low income housing. (I guess even that is subject to Federal law as I think of it.) Instead of providing incentives to create low income housing, maybe there is a way to provide those incentives (e.g., tax relief) to investors to rehab single family homes. However, given the makeup of the planning board, and its thirst for tax dollars, I hardly think they would consider making such a long term investment.

One thing we do not need are rehab centers. The City could prohibit those tomorrow if it had the motivation to do so. Also, although probably initiated with the best intent, we don't need facilities like the one on New Salem Street, which has become an attractive nuisance. I've heard there is a facility in Manchester that shuttles homeless people to that facility for help. Great!
Major is offline   Reply With Quote