View Single Post
Old 08-12-2015, 10:10 PM   #112
Rich

Woodguy,

Not quite.

If the area you are anchoring in is a designated "No Rafting Zone", then the NRZ rules apply, you can't be within 150 feet of shore, or within 25 feet of another boat, or 50 feet of a raft of boats. Note that there are some NRZ's that have exceptions to these rules. The confusing part is that in a NRZ two boats can tie up together, but not three or more. If two are tied up, then everyone must stay 50 feet away from them.

I suppose NRZs try to prevent situations like this:

If the area is not a legal NRZ, then you can legally anchor anywhere on the lake, and within 150 feet of shore, someone's home, etc. But it's prudent not to anchor in a busy channel, etc. You can also 'raft' with other boats, which generally means to tie up together. There are also no rules about how close you can anchor to someone else because you can actually tie up to another boat to form a 'raft'.

Here's an extreme example of boats rafting together:

Some homeowners like to say "Go somewhere else, don't anchor in front of my home". Legally you can do so, but most of us agree that this wouldn't be very polite.

In the area being discussed in this thread, the legal description of the NRZ is not clear and could be challenged in court if someone would like to do so as the legal definition of the area is as clear as the mud on the bottom of the lake.

It's also a difficult cove in that it's very small and almost any boat in the area could drift within 150 ft of shore or of someone's home as the wind shifts the boat on their anchor rode.

Hopefully I have all my facts straight. I know someone will correct me if I'm even the slightest bit wong!