View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #31
lawn psycho

Default Oil Changes Easy Way to Save Money

Not all oil changes are created equal. Anyone getting a $25 oil change better know what oil and filter is being used.

I can get Mobil 1 for a total of $26 at Wal-Mart plus Napa Gold Filters for 7-12 bucks depening one which vehicle.

My oil change is 15-20 minutes. While it's draining, I also break out a rag and degreaser and go a general wipe down that does wonders of keeping the undercarriage rust free. Your mechanic is not going to do this. Ever smell burning oil that was not cleaned up thoroughly that dripped onto you enginee and exhaust after it got changed? I don't

A synthetic oil change for my cars is usually $65 or higher.

Getting rid of oil is easy. Pour your oil into milk jugs and just drop of at any parts store (auto zone, VIP, Napa, etc) as they take it free of charge.

So I actually save time by not worrying about having to make appt, sitting in a waiting area, etc. Plus, do my own tire rotations which takes maybe 15 minutes on a car. That's a $25-50 savings right there.

On my 4 vehicles (plus boat and lawn equipment) this adds up over the course of the year and honestly I don't even have to think of the small amount of time it takes to do them.

I'm thankful I can do my own basic maintenance. Had a Honda Dealership who wanted to charge $79 to replace cabin air filter. Requires pulling two tabs in glove box and removing to screws to get filter out. Filter cost? $13 I'll keep the difference in my wallet all day long
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote