View Single Post
Old 01-03-2024, 08:47 AM   #28
Biggd

Thanked 1,073 Times in 678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The Lakes Region area has taken a real beating property-wise.

My family moved from Gilford to Laconia because of taxes since the state took over evaluation in the 80s, newspaper articles of 'view' tax, etc. abound.

Now Winnisquam is taking a big hit and so is Newfound Lake! The area will soon be taken over by millionaires!

We've been looking at the Rangely Lake area in Maine. It reminds me of what it was like in the Lakes Region back in the 50s, and 60s. I can see why Ralph Bayre moved back home!

If you want tax relief you must get off the lake, unfortunately. While my taxes have taken a beating, the landowners that are not near a body of water are reaping the benefits of low evaluation, yet they are the ones benefiting from year-round town and state services. Just think of those families that rent in multi-family units struck gold!

All the more reason why the property tax system should be replaced. Perhaps a VAT system?
Taxes in Maine are no bargain. On the plus side, if you have waterfront property you can sell for big bucks, buy off the water, and bank some money. People with property off the lake don't have that option.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post: